Tuesday, July 12, 2016

milwaukee industry


One of my UWM colleagues from Ceramics, Christopher Davis-Benavides is sitting in on my Rhino course this summer. Chris brought me this great photograph today of a machine that his father designed and built. The machine reminds me of the Cole Drill Michael loaned me so long ago. He told me that his grandfather had taken some self built machines to the Worlds Fair and was recruited by Allis Chalmers to work in Milwaukee and design and build machines. I absolutely love this image. This image was taken at the Davis Manufacturing Co. The men are appear to drilling holes in a giant steel wheel. I can't even imagine how and where this wheel blank was created. Regardless, it makes me realize and well aware of how little I know...


I'll miss the industrial roots that Milwaukee has inspired me to research and investigate in my own work.





No comments:

Followers